It’s possible to have mold in your living spaces, no matter how clean your home is. Mold can damage the structure of your house and affect your health. Learn to identify signs of mold growth and take steps to eliminate it from your home.
Many people underestimate the impact mold has on indoor air quality. In addition to causing allergy-like symptoms, mold can contribute to headaches and fatigue. Depending on the severity of mold in your home, it can be costly and dangerous to remove.
Identifying Mold in the Home
Signs of Mold Growth: Patches of Discoloration
Whether you see small black spots or streaks of white growth, any mold growth is an indication you need to take action. If left unchecked, mold will continue to spread and cause damage to your property and your health.
A Musty or Damp Smell
Sometimes, you can smell mold, even if you don’t see it. If you notice an unusual musty or damp odor, check the area for other signs of mold growth.
Cold and Flu-Like Symptoms are Signs of Mold
If you have lingering cold symptoms, frequent headaches, or feel unwell, your symptoms may be due to mold in your home. You might not see mold, because it often grows in dark spaces. However, if you often feel sick when you’re home, leave your house for a couple of days. If your symptoms go away but reoccur when you return home, something in your house could be making you sick. It’s possible that mold is the culprit.
Sneezing Can Indicate Mold Growth in the Home
Frequent sneezing is a sign of mold. Mold spores release mycotoxins, which irritate nasal passages, often causing sneezing. These mycotoxins may also cause a burning sensation in both the lungs and nose.
Your Home Experiences Flooding
Excess moisture after rain or a flood makes your home the perfect environment for mold growth. Dry your home and clean it thoroughly after a plumbing leak or flood. Use fans and a dehumidifier to help speed the process. Mold can begin to develop in 24 hours, so disinfect surfaces as soon as you are able.
Getting Rid of Mold
If you begin to notice mold-related symptoms, consult a professional. Seek out a local home inspector who specializes in mold inspections.
If your home has mold, take appropriate measures to get rid of it. When you’re cleaning, wear protective gear. How you remove the mold depends on the surface where it is growing.
Living with mold causes health problems including allergies, headaches, and fatigue. If necessary, hire a professional service to clean the areas and stop the mold from spreading.